Rotork Actuators Support Portugal’s Plan for Advanced Wastewater Treatment
The Viseu Sul WWTP in Portugal’s Viseu County is the first in the country to adopt advanced membrane filtration (MBR) wastewater treatment technology.
MBR treatment plants work without the addition of chemicals and with relatively low energy consumption, combining secondary and tertiary treatment and eliminating traditional sand and carbon filtration. Centralised process control and automation at Viseu Sul is facilitated using Profibus DP network technology, utilising Rotork’s latest multi-turn and part-turn intelligent non-intrusive electric actuators (IQ and IQT respectively) to operate penstocks and butterfly valves for flow control throughout the wastewater treatment process.
The Rotork IQ Profibus DP interface card provides comprehensive control and feedback data about the valve and actuator using DP-VO cyclic communication. Extensive actuator diagnostics and configuration information is included in the DP-V1 acyclic data supported by the card, enabling valve profiling and diagnostic data collected by the IQ actuator to be incorporated into asset management systems.
The Rotork reputation for all-weather reliability in the global water and wastewater treatment industries, combined with the local availability of technical support from the manufacturer available from Rotork Iberia, also made important contributions to the selection of IQ actuation technology for this landmark project. In addition to being the most advanced WWTP in Portugal, the new Viseu Sul plant will enable the closure of other treatment plants in the area which do not meet the latest environmental regulations.
Tel: +44(0)113 256 7922
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 41
- Flooding proves the watertight case for Rotork Actuators
- An Introduction to Networks Control systems for valve actuators
- Rotork Intelligent valve actuation for solar power plants
- Rotork aids Regeneration: Rotork actuators at the centre of successful UK environmental regeneration
- Rotork introduces compact electric actuator solution for marine valve applications
- South East Water awards valve actuation framework agreement to Rotork
- New Flowserve Software Simplifies Actuator Configuration, Diagnostics: Flowserve Dashboard Allows Bluetooth® Connectivity with Limitorque MX and QX
- Emerson Enters into Supplier Services Agreement with Fluor Corporation to Provide Automation and Control Solutions and Services.
- Pakscan digital valve control goes wireless
- Rotork’s new CVA, mounted to a Metso valve