BVAA’s Technical Hot Spot
Industry valves - Steel and cast iron check valves - proposal by France to extend the scope to include copper alloy BS EN 16767:2016
What is it?:
This European Standard specifies the requirements for cast iron or steel check valves, which are forged, cast or fabricated in straight, angle or oblique pattern with end connections flanged or wafer, butt welding, socket welding, or threaded. It does not include valves made of copper alloy.
Why Is it Important?:
There are no EN standards for copper alloy globe valves and copper alloy check valves. In June 2014 TC69 took decision against the views of the UK to combine steel and cast iron check valves into one standard. As a consequence EN14341 and EN12334 have been withdrawn and EN16767 has been published in 2016.
The work on EN16767 was done very recently. There were no comments during the prEN or FprEN to include copper alloys so it is not clear why this issue is now being raised.
The UK situation is that we still retain as current BS 5154. This standard covered copper alloy gate, globe and check valves. It is partly superseded by EN12288 copper alloy gate valves. We also have BS 7438 current which is for single disc spring loaded wafer type check valves in both steel and copper alloy.
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 43
- RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- CEN/TS 13547:2006 “Industrial valves – Copper alloy ball valves”: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- EN 1983:2006 “Industrial valves - Steel ball valves”: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- Fugitive Emissions Standards: Result of the NWIP ballot for the revision of ISO 15848-1 and ISO 15848-2 (2006)
- Steel valve casting NDE acceptance: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- The Dangers of Industrial Gas Abuse: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- Systematic Review of Standards in 2012: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- BS EN 12266-1:2012
- Approval of Draft ISO/DIS 28921-1
- Metallic butterfly valves: ISO/DIS 10631 “Metallic butterfly valves for general purposes”