140-Year-Old Valve Refurbished & Re-manufactured
Blackhall Engineering Ltd save critical valve from failure, in one of Yorkshire Water’s oldest reservoirs.
Valve Inspection, Condition and Survey Reports
An internal inspection survey was carried out by our confined-spacetrained personnel to determine the condition of the valves. The inspection reports detailed the cause of the excessive leakage and concluded that critical failure of the valves was imminent should they be left unrepaired. On receiving the reports, Yorkshire Water proceeded to entrust Blackhall Engineering Ltd in carrying out the full removal, overhaul and refurbishment of these 140-year-old valves. The refurbishment plan, which combined both repair and replace elements, was a financially and environmentally conscious one, and in-keeping with the importance of heritage to Blackhall.
Valve Removal and Lifting Services
One of the main challenges in the valve refurbishment programme was actually crafting lifting equipment capable of accessing such a narrow space in order to remove the 9 tonne valves from the 59ft (18m) deep enclosure at the base of the valve tower. The safe removal of the valves took 3 days from start to finish.
Valve Strip and Inspection Report
The valves were then delivered to our Brighouse facility to be stripped and inspected. A detailed report was presented to the customer and refurbishment commenced. This is where the process of bringing the valves back to life began.
Back to Site
The newly upgraded valves were returned to Fewston Reservoir and safely reinstalled into the 59ft (18m) deep enclosure. Today, both valves are running soundly with no leakage detected, and should be fit for another 150 years.
Tel: 01484 713 717
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 44
- Comid Valve Services - A New Look...A New Logo...A New Era…
- Intelligent reliability with Life Cycle Services
- BVAA Welcomes Greg Johnson
- Leeds Valve joins the Flow Group
- Supply, Service, Repair- On Demand, On Time, Every Time: Company Overview Valve disassembly area- Intelligent Partnerships
- Fisher® Certifies ESI
- Valve reconditioning can save time and money
- Comid Announces Link Up with BLAC Inc.
- TYCO ACQUIRE KINGS: TYCO FLOW CONTROL STRENGTHENS ITS UK SERVICE CAPABILITY
- Repair Code of Practice