Flowserve MaxFlo 3 and NR Diaphragm Actuator Granted SIL 3 Certification
Flowserve Corporation, a leading provider of flow control products and services for the global infrastructure markets, announced the Valtek MaxFlo 3 Valve and NR Diaphragm Actuator achieved Safety Integrity Level (SIL) 3 certification of IEC 61508 Parts 1,2.
SIL is a measurement of the effectiveness of a safety system. A third-party organization evaluates a safety instrumented function (SIF) and its hardware, considering such factors as redundant architectures, proof test intervals, proof test effectiveness, any automatic diagnostics, average repair time, and specific failure rates of all products and subsystems included in the SIF.
"SIL 3 certification gives Flowserve customers added peace of mind in the safety and reliability of the MaxFlo 3 Valve and NR Diaphragm Actuator," said Eric Anthony, Director of Marketing, Control Valve Products, Flowserve Flow Control Division. "We design valves and actuators with performance, reliability and safety in mind, and this certification validates our focus on quality."
Flowserve partnered with exida Certification S.A., one of the world’s leading knowledge companies specializing in automation system safety and availability, to conduct the SIL certification process. The exida certification process involved an on-site audit and the development of a detailed safety case.
About the MaxFlo3 and NR Diaphragm Actuator
The MaxFlo 3 Valve and NR Diaphragm Actuator is a high-performance, eccentric rotary plug design, which is used in low-pressure, high CV applications. The double-offset eccentric plug rotates into the seat at an angle that eliminates sliding over the seat surface. The valve can be oriented so that the fluid assists the plug to fail-open or fail-closed upon air failure.
The diaphragm rotary actuator is a rugged single-acting actuator. It operates with air supply pressures from 20 to 60 psi (1.4 to 4.0 bar) and is field-reversible.
The MaxFlo 3 valve and NR Diaphragm actuator are rated for ANSI/FCI 70.2 Class IV (Metal Seat). ANSI Class VI shutoff is obtained by using the soft seat design.
Flowserve recently announced additional safety upgrades to the MaxFlo 3 valve, which includes a robust shaft blow-out protection in compliance with ASME standards. This new feature prevents the stem from being removed or ejected while the valve is under pressure.
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 8
- Rotork IQPro electric valve actuators with the SIL (Safety Integrity Level) option
- Rotork acquires Remote Control Sweden
- Emerson Process Management - Valve Automation 1 Force Driving All Valves...Everywhere!
- Tomoe Japan Secures Saudi Electric Company Shuaibah Contract in Partnership with Rotork
- Rotork appoints UK distributor for Remote Control valve actuators
- Offshore Vietnam actuation contract includes High Integrity Pressure Protection System
- Actuated Solutions Ltd: A company profile
- Asian gas plant contract continues Rotork’s success with Gasco
- A company profile by Actuated Solutions Ltd
- New Flowserve Heavy-Duty Actuator Extends Cycle Life and Reduces Maintenance